COVID-19 For Pharmacy Patients
Whether you frequently visit the pharmacy for a prescription drug or are just now needing medication for yourself or a loved one, Sinks Pharmacy, Medley Pharmacy, Towne Pharmacy, and Steelville Drug are here to care for you. Even in a global pandemic, pharmacies are one of the only places that will remain open, although our operations may look a little different during this time. Here is a pharmacist’s guide on navigating your medications during the pandemic to help yourself, your pharmacy, and your community:
- Do Not Stockpile. It is good to have a short-term supply of medications on hand in case of an emergency, but you do NOT need a year’s supply of medication. Attempting to stockpile large quantities can cause supply chain issues and leave other patients without necessary medication.
- Ask About Delivery. In order to stay operating, we need as few people as possible contributing to foot traffic and the possible spread of viruses throughout the pharmacy. Talk with our team about getting your medications delivered to your door.
- Do Not Skip Doses. Skipping medications could put you at risk for needing other types of medical care, which takes up preventable medical resources and could expose you to viruses circulating in medical facilities. Stick to your medication regime as directed. Additionally, sign up for our myMedPack program to get all your medications filled in easy, presorted, packs. Click here for more details.
- Plan Your Refills. If you are close to being due for a refill, check to see if you can get a 90-day supply filled. Many insurances are allowing overrides so that patients can fill medication earlier or in larger quantities. *There will be numerous exceptions to this. Listen to what your pharmacy says about whether your meds qualify for an early 90-day supply refill and whether YOU need to contact your insurance company.
- How You Can Help. If your pharmacy tells you that you need authorization from your insurance company to refill early, please consider calling the Member Services line yourself. Pharmacies across the US are all working to ensure everyone is getting their medications on time, and if you can help by calling on your own behalf it can help ensure our ability to fill your prescriptions in a timely manner.
- Think of Your Community. We understand the fear behind stockpiling, but we need to think about others in our community. If someone takes all the hygiene and cleaning products for themselves, there won’t be any left for the rest of the community – which will only hurt everyone in the long run and put everyone at an increased risk. Alternatively, it is important to remember that everyone has their own reasons for being worried or not. Please be considerate to others and use the proper precautions recommended by the CDC.
The Sinks Pharmacy team are to help answer any questions or concerns you may have during this time. It’s important to remain calm and follow proper precautions to help slow the spread of viruses and ensure your community remains safe and healthy. Please call the nearest Sinks Pharmacy location with any questions or concerns, or visit www.cdc.gov for the latest COVID-19 information.