Select Care Adherence Program
SelectCare, a refill synchronization and adherence program offered by our pharmacies, is designed to improve patient well-being and overall health. All of the patient's prescriptions are coordinated to be refilled on the same day each month.
HOW THE SelectCare ADHERENCE PROGRAM WORKS
Synchronized refills are based on having all of a patient's prescriptions come due on the same day of the month. In order to accomplish this, some prescriptions will have to be short-filled one time only to align them with other prescriptions. The chosen date becomes the patient's pick-up date and is selected in the most cost efficient manner.
Seven to ten days prior to the patient's pick-up date, the pharmacy contacts the patient to review his/her medications. Any new prescriptions, discontinued or changed scripts, and recent hospitalizations are detected at this time. Any prescriptions with zero refills are faxed, called, or e-scribed to the doctor. This allows ample time to authorize the prescription or to have the patient schedule an appointment if necessary. Last minute phone calls and emergency fills are thus avoided.
The day before the patient's pick-up date, the pharmacy reviews the order, resolves any remaining issues, and contacts the patient to personally remind them of their upcoming pick-up date.
SelectCare PROGRAM BENEFITS
- Reduces hospital remissions due to medication errors, especially those resulting from duplicate or contradicting therapies
- Better health care management
- Reduced stress due to running out of medications or waiting for orders
- Coordination of over-the-counter products with prescriptions
- Increased opportunity to discuss complete drug therapy with pharmacist,which improves patient /pharmacy /prescriber relationships.
- Selection of most cost-effective drug therapy reducing prescription costs
- Convenience of a single trip to the pharmacy
STEPS FOR THE SelectCare PROGRAM
- Pharmacy identifies patients who will most benefit from the program: Target groups may include those patients with the most complex disease states and medication regimens, patients with new medication starts, and patients unable to make multiple trips to the pharmacy to pick up prescriptions.
- Enrollment is discussed with potential patients: Patient agreement is reviewed and signed and initial enrollment form is filled out with personal medical and medication history.
- Pharmacist reviews patient profile and calculates any partial fills or adjustments needed to align all medications to the same target day each month.
- Pharmacy contacts the prescriber and advises them that the patient has chosen to enroll in our SelectCare program. In addition, any partial fill prescriptions will be requested at this time.
- Pharmacy receives new partial-fill prescriptions from prescriber. These prescriptions are then filled for dispensing or held until an appropriate date arrives that will successfully align the patient's medication regimen.